Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Spread the Word

Our triplets at 12 weeks
I have recently gone back to work and also had the opportunity to hang out with friends who I haven't seen often (or at all) since the beginning of my pregnancy. Although our conversations weren't entirely about our IVF process and the loss of our triplets, they often meandered back to the subjects and it really reminded me how important I feel it is to talk about this stuff. I am still unsure why fertility and pregnancy loss continue to be taboo topics, but I believe that should change. Much like the important and growing awareness of previously hush-hush topics like breast cancer, alcoholism and mental illnesses, fertility and miscarriage/preterm labor should be things that people are aware of - not so we can fear them, but so we can understand them (and those who experience them). That is why I have made some structural changes to my website. You'll notice it is no longer anonymous. I have also updated my profile and have begun linking to other blogs - some topically related and others that are not. My hope is not that I'll become a millionaire from blog traffic (although I wouldn't be upset if that happened); it's really to bring awareness to issues that are sadly prevalent in order to bring awareness and healing to people.

I ask that you would help me with this by officially following me and sharing this blog with others. I know it has been slow as of late, but I will keep it steadily growing. And we do plan to repeat our IVF and hopefully our pregnancy story in the not too distant future. And, despite my own desires for self-preservation and the cautionary words of friends and family, I plan to document it all here as it happens. I can't in good faith promote a conversation that I'm only willing to partially participate in. So, please help me to build that conversation through shares, comments, tweets, follows... whatever you can and will do. And thank you to everyone who has loved and supported us through this past year. It's been quite a journey and I hope you - and many others - will continue it with us.

And just so you know it's coming, I'll be posting about our six month marker in a couple of weeks. I truly can't believe it has been that long.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you changed your mind about being anonymous. I truly believe that being entirely open and honest brings nothing but healing to ourselves and the world. Telling our stories is the most remarkable thing we can do. Here's to your continuing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Autumn! I thought it was an important change now that I'm out of the beginning stages. Hopefully, it will make me feel more trustworthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri,

    I agree so much that these are topics that are hardly talked about and until I had my first miscarriage, I had NO idea how prevalent it really is. It made me feel so much better and less guilty that I had done something to cause this to happen. Thank you for talking about it for all the world to hear as more light can help those who haven't gone through it yet or who may be heading that way and don't even know it. I've currently had 4 early miscarriages and know that eventually we will have a healthy pregnancy and get to see our baby grow up. Anytime you want to talk, just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that Hannah. Yes, it's strange how taboo the subject really is. I feel like it's hurting women overall. Sometimes it's important to talk about things, even if they are painful. I hope that you two have some success soon. As people told me before we got pregnant, the trying is the funnest part! ;)

    ReplyDelete