Sunday, October 7, 2012

There's No Such Thing as a Free Baby

I'm sure you've heard the saying, "there's no such thing as a free lunch." It's really an economics argument, but the principle is clear: nothing comes without some sort of cost. Now, most people fear the cost of having children from birth to college graduation, but having fertility issues means you pay a lot for the same privileges that random sixteen year old pregnant girl in the mall got for free. (Although she'll probably pay far more for her baby in non monetary ways.) Our first go-round cost us about $13,000. Yup, about the same as my first brand new car. I'll find out on Wednesday how much our second attempt will cost. But point being, it's not cheap.

Now, I have said over and over on this blog and on my facebook site (facebook.com/imgonnabeawhat) that I'm not in this for the money. And I'm not. Seriously. (And obviously, since I haven't made a penny.) However, with the debt of our first attempt still looming over our heads and the new costs of the procedure, medication, and frozen blastocyst storage on the horizon, I started to think monetizing the site wouldn't be such a bad idea. So I reinstated my Amazon Associate account and here I am asking you for a little help.

And helping is so very, very simple. I'm sure you've seen the ads on my page. (I figured, well, why not include them.) I know sometimes they're not so relevant and sometimes they may be a bit offensive. (I don't control the content. Promise.) But clicking on those gives me money. I know this concept is probably familiar to you, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyways. The more interesting source of revenue is actually through Amazon. Their Associates program allows me to embed links to products that they carry. Clicking on those hyperlinks (even without buying) gives me a few cents. Plus, anything you choose to purchase via that link - it doesn't even have to be the product the link promoted - gives me some kickback. So, if you know that you're going to buy something through Amazon, you can use a link on my site and I will actually get some residual pay without any expense on your end. Fabulous, no?

So this is my plea. While you're enjoying my blog, could you click on a few things once in awhile? My debt and I would really appreciate it. In fact, I'll give you a chance right now. Check this out!

Now that I'm on the verge of a new IVF cycle, I'll be returning to a couple of key pregnancy books that we invested in at the start of our last pregnancy. The Pregnant Body Book is an awesome book that allows you to see inside the female body from fertility to post-conception. It's like the Grey's Anatomy of pregnancy books. It helped me to feel more connected and knowledgeable about how my body was changing and I will be unearthing it again shortly. The other book I completely fell in love with was the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It has a ton of great, relevant information to help make pregnancy less scary.

So... please click on something. Pretty please? Remember, you don't have to buy this stuff. Click on the Pregnant Body Book and roam Amazon for your new favorite workout gear or some new music. Using my link helps me financially. And/or click on some of those ads you just scrolled past (on the right). I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2 comments: