Friday, September 7, 2012

Keep Spreading the Word

Tell me all about it!
I got some amazing exposure after my post "Spread the Word" and I thank all of you who visited and/or promoted my page. Unfortunately, numbers dropped back down again after that big push. I think a lot of that comes from people being reluctant to "follow" the blog. Without some consistent connection, the blog falls down the priority list and often out of mind for awhile. I've been trying to figure out how to change that and finally it hit me: Facebook! As bad as it may be, people (myself included) are addicted to Facebook. So, I just created a page for this blog: www.facebook.com/imgonnabeawhat Now, people can check in and share my information on a platform that is probably a part of their day to day lives. My hope is this (and probably starting a second Twitter account) will help to spread the word about IVF, miscarriage and preterm labor loss.

As I move back into the "real world," I am reminded over and over again about how important these issues are... and how little people talk about them. Then, I have to remember that breast cancer and testicular cancer and even sex were very taboo topics not that long ago, and that birth control is still relatively new and is still controversial in some circles. And, despite the amazing advances women have made in the last half-dozen decades, motherhood and parenting are still very gendered and very touchy subjects that we like to gloss over. So, I have to take pride in those who are willing to come out - as painful as it may be - to share their stories and be vulnerable with people, and I will feature those brave women and men whenever I run across them. And I would LOVE your help promoting these sites - not so I can make oodles of money, but so I can hopefully help get the conversational ball rolling about these amazingly important issues that remain hidden out of sight.

And please, please share this information with anyone and everyone you know! You would be amazed at the number of people who secretly share that they, too, have experienced this loss. And if you see anyone else talking about this, please let me know so that I can connect our sites and expand on this newly emerging community.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment