Tuesday, December 20, 2011

And We're Public

As I approach 14 weeks, I decided it was time to share my blog. We shared our big news with the (virtual) world right before my 12 week mark, but I hadn't quite decided what to do with this blog. I've been anything but consistent, but I've decided to give somewhat regular posting a shot since this is such an important time in our lives and so those who want more details about this process can get them. So, here's a quick recap of our lives since August 2011:


* discovered infertility was the reason we weren't getting pregnant.
* decided to do InVitro Fertilization.
* transferred two blastocysts.
* were told we were having twins - both took!
* told in week 10 there was a third baby. My granddaddy's twin genes had apparently taken affect.
* much shock, changes in doctors and meetings with friends in the medical field.
* acceptance (for the most part) and lots and lots and lots of doctor's appointments.

At this point, we are feeling pretty optimistic. However, this week we met with our new perinatologist (a doctor who works with high risk pregnancies) and he told us about a lot of risks. I know his intent was to inform, but it also put a dark hue on the day. We were not naive to the risks of multiple gestation, but it's hard to hear a list of all of the bad or challenging things that you and your babies may have to endure in the upcoming months. But we realized that there is no use dwelling on the "what ifs," so onward we go!

This is my first (and ONLY) pregnancy, so I have no idea what is normal... and from what everyone tells me, nothing is normal when you're having triplets. And to have all this after IVF makes things even more unusual. But the weirdest thing for me is starting to show. Normally, this doesn't happen for women until 14-15 weeks, but I started to show around 11 weeks and really started to "feel" pregnant body-wise at 12 weeks.  Stretching positions I used to do with ease, like the Child's Pose in yoga, have to be modified because there's this weird protrusion where my moderately flat stomach used to be. And it's not fat that can be squished one way or another - it's something else entirely.

It's also strange to think of all of the things we need in order to accommodate three little ones. There's the usual - three cribs, three high chairs - but then there are things you don't think about, like a car that fits three car seats safely in the backseat. Or like nursing accessories that help a bipedal mother with two of, well, everything important, care for and feed three babies. And a bathing system that will easily accommodate an "assembly line" of baby washing that also won't kill my back. Not to mention a house that can comfortably house five people and two dogs when ours is stuffed with two adults and dogs. This gets a little overwhelming, but we made our first step forward on Friday. Actually, I made that first step. I negotiated for and bought us (well, primarily myself - it will be my car officially) a crossover vehicle with third row seating: a 2008 Mazda CX-9. And I got a damn good deal on it, too.  In fact, after 1 1/2 hours of negotiating, the manager actually wrote "you won" on the final offer. And although this car meant another car payment (mine was paid off entirely) it also made me feel more confident - like we had taken the first truly practical step in being able to handle this new stage in our lives. It made me more confident. Now, when people say, "Enjoy sleep now because you're not going to get any for a long time" or "Wow! The next few years are going to be really tough," I just want to tell them we can handle it. That we're going to make it look easy. I know it will be different and definitely challenging at times, but my perspective is finally starting to change from naysayer to go-getter, and that's a good feeling.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing Sheri! I am praying for a smoothe transformation to a large family, nice labor, and the health of you and the babies. I hope you know you don't have to do it all on your own. That's what loving friends and family are for! If it is ever too much, or you feel overwhelmed, please tell us how we can help n help will be sent! You and Brian will be AMAZING parents! Also let me know if you would like me to help you start a baby registry :)
    <3 Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all those babies! And love the new car. Thanks for sharing and allowing us to journey with you.

    ReplyDelete